Home page design

DAM redesign

We wanted to design a fresh new home page where people can find the content they need more easily, visually it should be more polished yet the page should look familiar. Also, create a solid foundation for future improvements.


Users struggle to easily find the assets they want to use, moreover they want to see the folder’s content without opening it. Sometimes they want to search and find assets to use on and off platform.

Image of old home page
Old home page, which is a flat view of assets uploded

Our DAM (Digital Assets Management) users are increasing, navigating through folders become a pain point for them because we were showing a flat structure and default sorting was based on creation date. More people making assets force the folder to go deep in the page.

Finally, we needed a wow factor for the marketing team’s demos, and pave the way for future improvements of the product.

Roles & Process

Like previous work, I lead the design effort for the DAM team. We are an agile team consisting of 4/5 developers, one product manager, and one designer. That’s our development team.

In our organization, all designers meet weekly to discuss design problems. We have a couple of small teams for each product area, all product manager and designer meet weekly to discuss dependency or review of new features.


We looked into the various competitor’s products, and some b2c applications. Most importantly we talked to some of our users about how they want to see the product in the future. Most of these meetings were conducted by an account manager along with a product manager, and in some cases included myself.

Some of the features e.g. folder preview were long-wanted as I said earlier. Additionally our assets cards were old and we needed a way to make that better.


When we came to this phage we decided to update our page to a category-based structure rather than a flat one. We hoped all types of assets will be discoverable. On the other hand we wanted to see if we can improve our card design. So we started with that.

First, we run some preference tests in usabilityhub.com for some of the small things like our card, icon placement, folder preview, image card, etc. After around 9 tests we could get an idea about what our cards might look like.

Image of the screenshot of usabilityhub.com tests
Screenshot of usabilityhub tests

Along the way, we created some screens as how we thought our categorical view might look like. We finalized those views using those winning card designs in the preference test. Now the next step would be to test the layouts which is using the new cards.

We first tested folder preview since we wanted to make this right, and since some users wanted to have this feature, it would be nice to test among them.

Image of folder preference tests
Folder Preference Test

We couldn't use usabilityhub for that as we were not sure if our users wants to go to another website and input their openion. To address this, we explored an alternative approach. Since we were already utilizing Gainsight for user messaging and obtaining user information, leveraging its capability to target specific user segments seemed appealing. However, a significant obstacle was Gainsight was not designed for that. Despite this limitation, we planned a workaround by repurposing its multiple-question survey to align with our needs.

Image of Gainsight Test Editor
Gainsight Test Editor

Traditionally this software is used to test things like how happy users with our software. We made it such a way so it only has two options with image rather than five inputs of user happiness. Furthermore we used comments so users can tell us the reason of their choice.

Image of Folder Preference Test in our website via Gainsight
Folder Preference Test in our website via Gainsight

We were delighted when we saw users are jumping to answer our questions, they commented about their selection, they asked us to implement features we are showing here, as soon as possible. I think this was the biggest win in this whole process to let our users know that we are thinking about making their life a bit better.

The test had three parts. We wanted to see, how they like between two folder views, how they would like the search to behave and display search results, and finally wanted to ensure how the asset card should look like.

Image of Engaement performance data
Engaement performance data

When we get back results we were surprised to find out one answer. It’s about folder preview, the one we felt is old school, not industry-standard that one got the most votes so we obeyed their choice and implement that. Between the other two, one was expected. And another proved our previous assumption via usabilityhub.But we felt good to get feedback from our software users.

Finally we have a design for MVP.

Image of DAM home page final design
Final Design